Recipe by Impera_Magna
I do not remember where I got this recipe but I've been making it for years. Sometimes I use rice and sometimes noodles, depending on the mood I'm in... or what I have in the pantry! :) This recipe makes the ultimate chicken broth... so rich and satisfying. Never had anything but sincere compliments on this soup... which, with a hunk of fresh bread, makes a wonderful supper. Number of servings is a guess-timate.
Top Review by Chilicat
This soup was wonderful! I didn't have leeks and I had to save my two carrots for the soup (see what happens when you don't plan ahead??) but the broth still turned out very flavorful. I let the soup veggies simmer while I cut up the chicken, then tossed in a handful of egg noodles when the chicken went back in. This isn't a quick recipe, but it's very easy and well worth the effort. Thanks for posting!
- 2 stalk celery, cut in large pieces
- 1 large carrot, cut in large pieces
- 1 large leek, cut in large pieces
- 6 sprig parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 large onion, peeled
- 2129.31 ml water
- 2267.96-2721.55 g baking hens
- 14.79 ml salt
- 8 peppercorns
- 236.59 ml chopped celery
- 236.59 ml chopped carrot
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 59.14 ml long grain rice
- 283.49 g frozen peas
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash chicken and remove giblets.
- Place chicken in large soup kettle.
- Add water, celery, carrot, leek, parsley, bay leaf, the clove-stuck onion, salt, and peppercorns.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer 2 to 2.5 hours, or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from the kettle.
- Strain broth, removing other ingredients, and return broth to kettle.
- Skin chicken, remove bones, and cut up chicken.
- To make soup:.
- Add diced carrots, chopped celery, chopped onions, and rice to broth in kettle; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken, peas, salt & pepper to taste; simmer for 10 minutes or until rice is tender.
- NOTE: When using noodles, I add them to the broth however many minutes it takes to cook them before serving.