1/1 Photo of Chicken & Rice (Or Noodle) Soup
3 hrs 40 mins
I do not remember where I got this recipe but I've been making it for years. Sometimes I use rice and sometimes noodles, depending on the mood I'm in... or what I have in the pantry! :) This recipe makes the ultimate chicken broth... so rich and satisfying. Never had anything but sincere compliments on this soup... which, with a hunk of fresh bread, makes a wonderful supper. Number of servings is a guess-timate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 stalks celery, cut in large pieces
- 1 large carrot, cut in large pieces
- 1 large leek, cut in large pieces
- 6 sprigs parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 large onion, peeled
- 9 cups water
- 1 (5 -6 lb) baking hens
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 peppercorns
- 1Wash chicken and remove giblets.
- 2Place chicken in large soup kettle.
- 3Add water, celery, carrot, leek, parsley, bay leaf, the clove-stuck onion, salt, and peppercorns.
- 4Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer 2 to 2.5 hours, or until chicken is tender.
- 5Remove chicken from the kettle.
- 6Strain broth, removing other ingredients, and return broth to kettle.
- 7Skin chicken, remove bones, and cut up chicken.
- 8To make soup:.
- 9Add diced carrots, chopped celery, chopped onions, and rice to broth in kettle; simmer for 10 minutes.
- 10Add chicken, peas, salt & pepper to taste; simmer for 10 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 11NOTE: When using noodles, I add them to the broth however many minutes it takes to cook them before serving.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken & Rice (Or Noodle) Soup
Serving Size: 1 (461 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 436.1
- Calories from Fat 241
- Total Fat 26.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 191.0 mg
- Sodium 755.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 34.6 g