Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This was a recipe from Carnation evaporated milk. I revamped it to make it much lower in fat and calories. I reduced the amount of cheese and omitted the butter that was in the original recipe and changed the number of servings to 6. What I got was a pretty tasty low fat chicken & rice casserole that's only 5 WW points (figured on their website).
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces cooked chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 4 ounces egg substitute (or 2 eggs)
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 ounces green chilies, drained
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole.
- Combine all ingredients and stir well.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
I thought this was a bit bland but once I added Mediterranean Sea Salt it was fairly tasty. I will put this in a shallower as we liked the crusty part (top) best and add some garlic next time. I think played with this could become one of my go to recipes - especially since I usually have the ingredients listed - especially as leftover rice and chicken.
I decided not to add anything when making this the first time and we liked it very much. Using 2 cups of rotisserie chicken might have given my dish more flavor. I may add some chopped water chestnuts for a fun crunch the next time I make this. I put this in a 8x11 inch baking dish and was able to cut it into12 servings. The next potluck I go to, I plan on making this to take. Yum, can't wait. Made for Zaar Stars Tag Game (July '10 - Oct. '10)
After reading the other reviews I decided to add salt, pepper, onion powder, & garlic powder along with a little butter to this dish. I didn't think it was bland but it was on the mild side. I think this would be perfect for those little picky eaters. Made for Gimmie 5 Tag