Recipe by Marie
A great use for leftover chicken or turkey. Uses no Cream of Whatever soup. A creamy wonderful one dish meal of chicken, rice 'n peas, topped off with a mixture of bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese and baked until golden brown.
Top Review by jesikae
On flavor, this got 5 stars. Loved it. Substituted poultry seasoning for thyme but kept everything else the same. Cooking it gets 4 - The rice on the bottom of the casserole dried out and got crunchy which received complaints... next time, I would make more sauce and mix said sauce into the rice to keep it moist.
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 3⁄4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium heat, whisk in flour and thyme and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in broth and milk, stirring until thick and smooth.
- Stir in chicken and add salt and pepper; set aside.
- Grease a 1 1/2 quart shallow baking dish.
- Spread rice in prepared baking dish, sprinkle with the peas and then pour creamed chicken mixture over.
- Dot with remaining tablespoon of butter and sprinkle with bread crumbs and cheese which you mix together.
- Bake at 400° until hot and bubbly, about 20 to 25 minutes.