Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
Chhicken and rice is a popular dish, but I didn't see any just like this one on 'zaar. I love this dish! I just can't describe the clean, brisk taste of it, the totally uncomplicated flavors. Just delicious. The cream soup does not clog the taste at all. And this dish is so easy to make! Another plus. This is company fare, served with a colorful vegetable and crisp salad.
Top Review by Pot Scrubber
I spotted this last week when you posted this and have been thinking of it every since. I must admit, I was skeptical that this would work. The amount of liquid for the uncooked rice just didn't seem like it would be enough and I expected scorched rice sticking to my casserole. Not the case! THe rice is absolutely delicious and the best part of the meal. I think the chicken pieces would be helped by brining them and with some additional seasonings on them, though, being careful not to let those seasoning get into the rice mixture. The rice is PERFECT the way it is. Minor point, though. I sprayed my casserole with cooking spray and there wasn't one scorched grain of rice and cleanup was a breeze. This recipe pleasantly surprised me and with a little tweaking on the chicken will be something I will enjoy for both the taste and the ease of preparation.
- 3⁄4 cup long grain rice
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
- 1 (10 ounce) soup can water
- 3 lbs meaty chicken pieces
- 1 bunch scallion, sliced (include green tops)
- 3 -4 cups longhorn cheese, shredded (may use sharp Cheddar if desired)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle rice over bottom of a 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Combine soup and water; pour carefully over the rice.
- Lay the chicken pieces over the rice without overlapping. Sprinkle the sliced scallions and grated cheese over the top. Cover dish with foil.
- Bake in preheated oven 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer.