Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This one comes from my Mother's recipe collection. It is easy and delicious. I use 4 large breast halves.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In ungreased 9x13 pyrex dish, combine raw rice, onion, 1/2 tsp salt, celery, water, soup and mushrooms; mix well.
- Arrange chicken on top of rice mixture, skin side up.
- Either drizzle melted butter over chicken or place a small pat of butter on each piece then sprinkle with lawry's salt to taste.
- Bake at 365 degrees for 1 hour or until chicken is tender and done.
Should've doubled this! I really loved it... some other picky family members weren't impressed. I did make a few changes - omitted the celery and mushrooms. Sauteed some mushrooms separately since I'm the only one that likes them. Served with steamed green beans. Yum!
Really loved it, and will make it again! What I loved especially was how the rice (I used ordinary long-grained) came out: sort of completely cooked, but al dente, as the Italians say. The dish was very tasty. On the chicken pieces -- I used thighs, because I had that available -- I sprinkled a sea salt spiced with lime, chilli pepper and coriander (the ground seed). That gave just that extra oomph! So basically I used no substitutions, but because I put it in my smaller, less reliable oven (I have 2 wall ovens) I baked it about 15 mins longer. Janeydoe, this was lovely. It rates 4 1/2 stars in my book.