Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the famous Malaysian chicken rice that you can get from the Chinese stalls. Serve with yellow rice.
- Rinse the chicken. Crush the ginger and put it in the chicken.
- Wait for the water in the pot to boil. Once boiling, stick the chicken in it. Make sure that the water covers the whole chicken. Boil for up to 15-20 minutes. Make sure that it’s fully cooked.
- While waiting for the chicken to cook. Wash the uncooked rice in water. Drain in a strainer. Let stand for 5 minutes till there is no more dripping water.
- Heat a frying pan, melt the margarine, and throw in garlic. Fry till fragrant, do not brown the garlic. Put in the uncooked rice. Mix.
- Put in the salt, pepper, chicken stock and saffron powder (The saffron powder is what makes the rice yellow. so adjust depending on how yellow You want the rice to be).
- Once everything is mixed well, take out of frying pan and put it into a rice cooker.
- For easy way to measure the water to rice ratio, use your index finger to measure the depth of the rice and remember where it hits on your finger. (I like to use my thumb resting against my index finger to mark the level). Then simply rest your index finger on top of the rice and add water until it hits the same spot on your finger as the rice did before. But for yellow rice, the rice should be a little grainier, so only put in a little less water.
- Put the Pandan leaf in with the rice and let it cook. If the rice comes out too grainy for your taste, just add a little more water and press the cook button again.
- Your chicken should be ready by now, take out the chicken put in a bowl. Rub the whole chicken with the sesame oil. (Save the soup).
- Cut the chicken as desired. Lay some cucumber slices on the side of a plate, arrange cut chicken on the plate.
- Mix Soya sauce and sesame oil together and pour all over the chicken and cucumber.
- Add salt to the chicken soup. You can put in leaks or any leafy vegetable of your choice.
- Serve chicken with yellow rice and a bowl of soup.
- Eat. :).