This is the famous Malaysian chicken rice that you can get from the Chinese stalls. Serve with yellow rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rinse the chicken. Crush the ginger and put it in the chicken.
- 2Wait for the water in the pot to boil. Once boiling, stick the chicken in it. Make sure that the water covers the whole chicken. Boil for up to 15-20 minutes. Make sure that it’s fully cooked.
- 3While waiting for the chicken to cook. Wash the uncooked rice in water. Drain in a strainer. Let stand for 5 minutes till there is no more dripping water.
- 4Heat a frying pan, melt the margarine, and throw in garlic. Fry till fragrant, do not brown the garlic. Put in the uncooked rice. Mix.
- 5Put in the salt, pepper, chicken stock and saffron powder (The saffron powder is what makes the rice yellow. so adjust depending on how yellow You want the rice to be).
- 6Once everything is mixed well, take out of frying pan and put it into a rice cooker.
- 7For easy way to measure the water to rice ratio, use your index finger to measure the depth of the rice and remember where it hits on your finger. (I like to use my thumb resting against my index finger to mark the level). Then simply rest your index finger on top of the rice and add water until it hits the same spot on your finger as the rice did before. But for yellow rice, the rice should be a little grainier, so only put in a little less water.
- 8Put the Pandan leaf in with the rice and let it cook. If the rice comes out too grainy for your taste, just add a little more water and press the cook button again.
- 9Your chicken should be ready by now, take out the chicken put in a bowl. Rub the whole chicken with the sesame oil. (Save the soup).
- 10Cut the chicken as desired. Lay some cucumber slices on the side of a plate, arrange cut chicken on the plate.
- 11Mix Soya sauce and sesame oil together and pour all over the chicken and cucumber.
- 12Add salt to the chicken soup. You can put in leaks or any leafy vegetable of your choice.
- 13Serve chicken with yellow rice and a bowl of soup.
- 14Eat. :).
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Rice
Serving Size: 1 (326 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 938.5
- Calories from Fat 523
- Total Fat 58.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 195.1 mg
- Sodium 1249.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 51.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt & pepper