My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 roasting chicken, cut into small to medium-size pieces
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 1/2 inches galangal or 2 1/2 inches ginger
- 1 -3 red chile, depending on how hot you like your curry (de-seeded if less heat is desired)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 5 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- 1 1/2 teaspoons shrimp paste
- 2 whole star anise
- desiccated coconut (optional)
- fresh coriander (optional)
- jasmine rice (optional)
- 1Place all sauce ingredients in a food processor. Process well to form a thick curry paste or sauce.
- 2Do a taste test for salt and spice, adding more fish sauce if not salty enough. If not spicy enough, add more fresh chilli. If too sour, add a little more brown sugar.
- 3Place sauce in a wok or large, deep-sided frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and stir well.
- 4Continue stirring occasionally as you bring the curry to a boil. Then reduce heat to a bare simmer. Do not cover the wok/frying pan, as you want the sauce to reduce and become thicker.
- 5Allow the curry to simmer (stirring occasionally) for up to one hour, or until meat is cooked and tender. The sauce will reduce, so that it is almost like a coating on the meat (plus there will be a little sauce in the wok/pan).
- 6Garnish with a sprinkling of shredded coconut and fresh coriander (if desired). Serve hot with jasmine rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Rendang Curry
Serving Size: 1 (144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 550.4
- Calories from Fat 281
- Total Fat 31.2 g
- Saturated Fat 15.3 g
- Cholesterol 53.4 mg
- Sodium 2102.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 47.0 g
- Protein 16.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: