Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
CNN International chose rendang as the number one dish or their World's 50 Most Delicious Food list.
- 6 red onions or 2 large onions
- 3 minced fresh garlic cloves
- 3 stalks lemongrass
- 3 cm galangal
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 10 -15 dried chilies
- 1 whole chicken, cut into small chunks (medium size)
- 1⁄2 cup korma paste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup tamarind juice
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 piece turmeric, leaf If you cant find fresh one, use 3/4 tbsp turmeric powder
- 7 pieces kaffir lime leaves, If you cant find fresh one, use 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup coconut paste, grated and fried coconut, then ground in a mortar and pestle until the oil comes out
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1. Pour oil into frying pan, adjust the heat as necessary. Add the Item A, stir well until fragrant.
- 2. Add korma curry powder, stir well for 5 minutes and add the chicken. Curry may stick and don't let it burn. Stirring about 10 minutes.
- 3. Pour coconut milk, tamarind juice, evaporated milk and chicken stocks. Leaves and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the curry has thickened.
- 4. Add in turmeric leaf, kaffir lime lives, kerisik, brown sugar, and salt. Continue stirring for 5 minutes and you are done!