Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This dish is a wonderful twist on the traditional Mexican chiles rellenos.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans green chilies, halved
- 4 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, cut crosswise into 16 slices
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups of homemade soft breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil
- Place each chicken breast halves between 2 pieces of heavy duty plastic wrap. Flatten each breast to ¼-inch thick using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Sprinkle with salt.
- Place a green chili half and 4 slices cheese in center of each piece of chicken. Roll up lengthwise, tucking edges inside. Secure roll with wooden toothpicks.
- Dredge chicken in flour. Combine egg and milk. Dip chicken in egg mixture then roll in bread crumbs.
- Fry chicken in 2 inches of hot oil (375°F) in a deep skillet or Dutch oven for 10 minutes or until golden, turning once. Drain well on paper towels.
- Serve immediately with salsa.
These came out wonderful! I used dried bread crumbs as I found I was out of bread when I started but it did not hinder the outcome whatsoever! These were easy, quick and very good. Everyone loved them, and I even used store bought salsa! I will be looking for a salsa recipe here to add to this next time.....and there WILL be a next time! Thanks. :)
A new family favorite!!!!!!!!!!
Excellent recipe. I had fresh hot chilis so used thosed and monterey jack instead of the canned and the pepper jack. It\'s easy to make and the ingredients are easy to find-even in a small community. My family loved this so much that today will be the second time in 10 days that I\'m making this recipe-it is now on our regular menu plan.