Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A healthy, flavorful version of a wonderful Mexican dish.
Make and share this Chicken Relleno recipe from Food.com.
- 12 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 canned whole green chilies, halved and seeded (can use a hotter chili if desired)
- 12 ounces reduced-fat monterey jack cheese, sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄3 cup skim milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Flatten chicken breasts between wax paper to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Place 1/2 green chili and 1 ounce cheese in the center of each chicken breast.
- Roll chicken lengthwise and secure with wooden skewers or toothpicks.
- Combine breadcrumbs and next 4 ingredients.
- Dip rolls in milk, then dredge in breadcrumb mixture to evenly coat.
- Place chicken in a baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake uncovered 30 minutes or until tender.
My husband, who is generally pessimistic about trying any new recipe, loved this! It was a little tricky getting the chicken to make a nice roll (I had to use extra toothpicks), but it turned out well. I think using smaller chicken pieces is easier, so I recommend cutting the breasts in half or thirds. This also freezes well!
This is a great recipe. It is simple to prepare and yet elegant enough for company. Instead of green chilies, I used jalepenos form my garden. I made this as directed but froze the chicken after baking. After defrosting them overnight, I just reheated and they worked perfectly, This recipe will be another great addition to my OAMC collection, thanks for sharing!