1 hr 45 mins
This can be frozen for up to three months. To ensure the chicken remains succulent, defrost slowly in the fridge and reheat gently. Add a handful of chopped parsley before serving and accompany with mashed potato and a green vegetable, such as peas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 chicken thighs
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 24 small shallots, peeled
- 7 ounces smoked back bacon, cut into large dice
- 5 carrots, cut into batons (about 300g)
- 6 -7 ounces button mushrooms, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups red wine, full-bodied
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons brandy
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 3 sprigs lemon thyme (or normal thyme and a splash of lemon juice)
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 strip lemon zest
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Preheat the oven to 275°F
- 2Put a heavy-bottomed ovenproof casserole dish over a medium heat with 2 tbsp oil. Once hot, add the chicken, a few pieces at a time, and fry on all sides until golden brown. Remove and set aside in a large dish.
- 3Add the shallots to the pan and sauté for 10-15 minutes until golden and beginning to soften. Add to the chicken.
- 4Add the diced bacon to the pan and fry until it begins to colour. Add the carrots and continue cooking until they begin to soften. Mix in the mushrooms and cook until lightly coloured. Add all the contents of the pan to the chicken, leaving any juices in the pan.
- 5Reduce the temperature to low, pour another 1-2 tbsp oil into the pan, add the flour and stir into the pan juices. Cook for a couple of minutes or until it starts to look cooked and lightly coloured.
- 6Immediately, stir in the garlic and the wine, followed by the broth. Return to the boil, and cook briskly until it has thickened slightly.
- 7Meanwhile, pour the brandy over the chicken mixture. Set alight and once the flames have gone out, tip the mixture, juices and all, into the simmering sauce.
- 8Add the herbs and lemon zest, and season to taste (remembering that freezing can intensify the saltiness of a dish).
- 9Once the casserole returns to the boil, cover and place in the oven for 45 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and cooked through. It is then ready to serve, or to cool and freeze.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken, Red Wine and Bacon Casserole (Oamc)
Serving Size: 1 (388 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 768.8
- Calories from Fat 388
- Total Fat 43.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 157.9 mg
- Sodium 493.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 39.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked back bacon