Recipe by ihvhope
I'm posting this for safe keeping. I got this recipe from my step-mom. She didn't cook much but she'd make this now and then and I remember thinking I'd died and gone to heaven. I have been making it for myself for too many years to count. It's easy and always a crowd pleaser. It's great served with warmed tortillas and a garnish of sour cream. Do not leave out the turmeric--it makes this dish. It alway makes the BEST leftovers.
Top Review by kit in NO
I think I must have done something wrong. The rice was very mushy. I did cover the dish, perhaps that was the problem, uncovering it for the last half hour. The flavor was subtle and the chicken moist, but the rice was disappointing. I will try this again cutting back the chicken stock by 1/2 cup.
- 4 bone in chicken thighs
- 4 -6 chicken legs
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 (4 ounce) jar pimientos, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350.
- Brown chopped onion and chopped bell pepper until just brown, being careful not to burn.
- Add minced garlic and cook for two minutes.
- Add rice, pimentos and stir for about two minutes on low heat.
- Add chicken stock. turmeric, cayenne, and chili powder.
- Pour into a 2 quart casserole dish and arrange chicken on top and salt and pepper.
- Cook for one and a half hours.