Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
In 'The Italian Slow Cooker' by Michele Scicolone
Make and share this Chicken Ragu (Slow Cooker) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 chicken thighs, skin on
- 6 chicken drumsticks, skin on
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- fresh ground pepper
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over med-high heat; brown the chicken pieces on all sides.
- Transfer the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Decrease skillet heat to medium and add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are lightly golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the wine and bring it to a simmer.
- Scrape the mixture into the slow cooker.
- Stir in the tomato puree, tomato paste, herbs, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours or on LOW for 4 hours, or until the chicken pulls away from the bone.
- Remove the chicken and let cool slightly.
- Discard the skin and bones and cut the chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Return the chicken to the sauce.
- Just before serving, reheat the sauce if necessary.
- Serve over hot cooked pasta.