Monica in PA's Note:
SCRUMPTIOUS! This is my absolute hands-down favorite chicken recipe. I adapted it from Julia Child's book "The Way to Cook". It will really impress any guests and they will return for seconds and thirds. It can be made very inexpensively with chicken thighs. You may also adapt for the crockpot just brown the chicken before hand and you may have to double the thickening agents to adjust the sauce before serving. Prep time includes the browning of the chicken. Make sure you have lots of bread to dip in the delicious sauce! Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 lbs chicken parts (I prefer thighs)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups sliced onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/3 cup canned tomato puree or 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 3 cups chianti wine (can subsitute any dry red wine you have on hand)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- kosher salt
- black pepper
for thickening of sauce
- 1Brown chicken in large skillet on both sides in butter and oil.
- 2Remove chicken from pan and set aside, leaving the liquid in the pan.
- 3Add onions to the pan and saute till tender on moderate heat.
- 4Drain liquid over sieve into small bowl.
- 5Remove any unwanted fat.
- 6Set liquid aside.
- 7Season the chicken parts with salt/pepper and return to pan.
- 8Add tomato sauce, garlic, bay leaves, and thyme.
- 9Add enough wine and chicken stock to cover chicken parts.
- 10Simmer for at least 20 minutes uncovered.
- 11Remove chicken and place on platter.
- 12Pour juices and onions into saucepan and adjust seasonings.
- 13You may add more garlic, thyme, salt and pepper.
- 14In small bowl whisk together flour and butter (or wine).
- 15Add to the sauce and simmer until the sauce coats the back of a spoon.
- 16You may need to double the thickening agents if you have lots of juice.
- 17Pour sauce over chicken on platter and garnish with parsley.
- 18Serve with rice and crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken ragout with onions and red wine
Serving Size: 1 (626 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 838.5
- Calories from Fat 364
- Total Fat 40.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 201.8 mg
- Sodium 371.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 59.0 g