Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
Quinoa, a basic food of the Incas, is high in protein and a good source of calcium.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 1⁄2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup julienned dried apricot
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- romaine lettuce leaf
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- Rinse the quinoa well under cold running water and drain well.
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a medium saucepan; add in the quinoa, reduce heat and cook, covered, 12-15 minutes or until tender.
- Most, if not all of the liquid should be absorbed; drain off any remaining liquid and let the quinoa cool.
- In a bowl, combine the chicken, quinoa, raisins, apricots, pine nuts, and ginger.
- To make the dressing: add the vinegar to a small bowl; whisk in teh sal until dissolved; add in pepper and curry powder; whisk in the canola oil.
- Pour the dressing over the chicken mixture; toss gently but thoroughly.
- cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
- Serve chilled on a plate of romaine lettuce leaves.
Fantastic! Loved the combination of curry with dried fruits and ginger. Really enjoyed this as a packed lunch. Will definitely make again! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Replaced the golden raisins and apricots with a box of mixed dry fruit, for convenience. Thought it was good. I liked this salad, but picky son prefers 239599.
Made this using quinoa for the first time and it was a huge success! Very easy and oh so yummy!! My whole family loved it (including the fussy 8 year old!)