Recipe by Saralaya
After being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, I had to cut out most rice and cut way back on pasta; which I used to use as the basis for one dish meals. I rediscovered Quinoa- which does not spike my blood sugar- and have been using it to make some new dishes. I had leftover baked chicken and wanted to throw together a fast dinner one night when I got home from work and was really tired. The Quinoa cooks fast and everything else was what I had on hand. I had baked the chicken with our favorite spices so this didn't need too much else, but I did toss in a little extra garlic powder ( is there too much garlic? LOL) I just mixed it all together and served it. A green salad makes it a really complete meal. My husband and I both enjoyed it.
- 1 cup quinoa (cooked)
- 3 cups white meat chicken (cooked and cubed)
- 1 (7 ounce) can mushrooms (drained)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- spices, depending on how the chicken was cooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the Quinoa according to the package directions.
- Cut up the cooked chicken into small chunks.
- Open and drain a small can of mushrooms ( or use fresh if you have!).
- Open and drain the can of black beans ( I rinse them in cold water briefly).
- If you need or want to, add whatever spices you like: garlic, paprika, pepper etc.
- If it looks a little dry- a drizzle of olive oil will help.
- Mix it all together in a casserole dish and serve. If some ingredients are cold, you may want to heat the whole thing up either in a low oven or in a saucepan on the stove before serving. I also sometimes zap it all in the microwave to heat everything through.