1 hr 15 mins
Most people who don't like onions are surprised at how sweet onions taste when they are caramelized. Food&Wine/08/07. For best results refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 skinless chicken thighs, on the bone
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 pinch sugar
- fresh ground pepper
- 12 (6 inch) flour tortillas
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1In a bowl, toss the chicken thighs with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the rosemary, garlic and a generous pinch of salt.
- 2Cover and let the chicken stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- 3Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, melt the butter in the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- 4Add the sliced onions, thyme, vinegar, sugar and a generous pinch of pepper.
- 5Cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened, about 30 minutes; add a few tablespoons of water from time to time to keep the onions moist.
- 6Light a grill and preheat the oven to 500°.
- 7Season the chicken with salt and pepper and grill over moderately high heat, turning, until lightly charred and cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- 8Let the chicken cool, then pull the meat from the bones and tear into shreds.
- 9Arrange 6 tortillas on 2 large baking sheets.
- 10Spoon the onions onto the tortillas and top with the shredded chicken and blue cheese.
- 11Cover with the remaining tortillas, pressing to flatten slightly.
- 12Bake for about 6 minutes, until the quesadillas are golden and toasted.
- 13Transfer the quesadillas to plates and serve right away.
- 14*The unbaked quesadillas can be tightly wrapped in plastic and refrigerated overnight.
- 15**WINE SELECTION:One great region for Zinfandel is Sonoma's warm Dry Creek Valley, as evidenced by wines like the plummy 2004 Ferrari-Carano and the chocolate-inflected 2005 Dashe Dry Creek Valley.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Quesadillas/Blue Cheese and Caramelized Onions
Serving Size: 1 (223 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 572.1
- Calories from Fat 253
- Total Fat 28.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 105.8 mg
- Sodium 879.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 29.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sherry wine vinegar