Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I have found that it works great to make the "filling" up a head of time. Just prep and put in the refrigerator until needed. This is one of our favorite meals. NOTE: The friend who gave me this recipe uses canned cooked chicken. I'm sure the other precooked chicken tenders they sell now would also work.
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, Shredded
- 10 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- Broil the chicken for about 5 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink inside. Cool and then shred or cube the chicken. (I have found the slicer in my salad shooter works great for this!).
- Mix chicken, salsa and cheese in a bowl.
- Place 1/10th of the mixture on half of the tortilla, fold over and press down slightly to "seal". You can moisten the edges with water to help the edges seal but I usually don't. I've found pressing firmly so that the tortilla sticks to the mixtures works fine.
- Bake at 400°F for about 5 minutes or until tortillas start to brown.
- Serve with additional salsa, sour cream, or guacamole for dipping.
- Goes well with refried beans and/or Spanish Rice.
This was so good that I HAD to log in and write my review. This was 20 out of 5 stars; one of the best dishes I've made and I've made a lot. And it's SO easy! I did the following: seasoned the chicken with a little Adobo before grilling. In a separate pan, I sauteed some onions seasoned with a little salt, then at the last minute added some Goya black beans to the pan. I put the chicken, onions, beans, 1/2 lb cheddar cheese (found this was more than enough), and salsa (medium hot, might try hot next time) all in a bowl and mixed. Added another dash of Adobo and Cayenne Pepper as well. Used whole wheat tortillas and filled them, leaving some room along the edges so it wouldn't spill over. Baked it in the oven for about 15 minutes. All I can say is: WOW!
So good and so easy! Perfect, for lunch or dinner. I cheated by using rotisserie chicken which made it even easier.
Just made this tonight and I didn't change a thing. It was fabulous!