Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
I had a quesadilla recipe that I swore by until my friend made these. I would make this every day if my husband would be okay with it. The best thing is that it's a great make-ahead meal!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- 1⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 32 inches flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese, plus 1/4 cup for the top
- 1⁄2 chopped red onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drizzle the chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through. Let cool and finely chop.
- In a small bowl, mix the sauce and cream.
- Spoon 1/4 of the sauce mix on the bottom of the casserole dish. Tear up the tortilla and spread along the bottom on top of the sauce.
- Cover with a third each of the cheese, chicken, onion and black beans. Repeat twice-There should be three layers.
- Top with the remaining tortilla, sauce mix and cheese.
- Cover tightly with foil and put it in the freezer if you want to or skip to cooking instructions.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Baked covered for 20 minutes, uncover and bake 10 minutes more.
I really enjoyed this simple mexican dish! I did make a few modifications to suit my needs: used two packs of tyson's grilled and ready chicken and salsa instead of enchilada sauce and cream. To save some calories I only used 3 low carb tortillas and an 8 oz bag of 2% mexican cheese for the entire recipe. I also only made two layers (tortilla, chicken and cheese, tortilla, beans, tortilla on top with sauce and cheese . I also placed some salsa between the layers so nothing would dry out. Since I'm only cooking for one I used a glass 10-inch round dish to bake this in and everything fit perfectly. I'll eat the rest for leftovers this week!