Recipe by MarieRynr
This lovely, gutsy sauce goes wonderful with chicken that has been sauteed first, then gently simmered in the sauce to absorb all the flavours. No need to miss out on the pasta either, as green tagliatelle is the perfect accompaniment! Recipe courtesy of The Delia Collection: Chicken. We love this!
Top Review by MizzNezz
To keep the sauce from being too thin, I defrosted and sponged up the moisture on the chicken breasts. I cut them in quarters and then put all the sauce ingredients in the crockpot before adding the chicken. I cooked on high for 4 hours. This is fabulous! Delicious sauce, as good as it gets! I highly recommend this recipe. Thanks for sharing Marie Alice!
- 4 part-boned chicken breasts, skin on (about 8 oz each)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 fresh red chile, deseeded and finely chopped
- 14 ounces tinned italian chopped tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 6 ounces pitted black olives, roughly chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil, plus a few extra sprigs,to garnish
- 12 ounces dried spinach tagliatelle pasta noodles, to serve
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Begin by heating the oil in the frying pan until it's very hot.
- Wipe the chicken breasts with paper towel, then season them with salt and pepper.
- Saute them in the hot oil over a medium heat until they are a rich golden colour n both sides.
- This will take 5 or 6 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and add the garlic and chilli to the pan and fry these briefly for about 30 seconds.
- After that, add the tomatoes, tomato puree, olives, capers, chopped basil and some seasoning.
- Stir everything well, bringing it up to a gentle simmer, then return the chicken breasts to the pan, skin side up, pushing them well down into the sauce and basting a little over the top.
- Simmer for 40 to 45 minutes, uncovered, until the chicken has cooked and the sauce has reduced and thickened.
- About 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time, put a large pan of salted water on to heat and bring it up to the boil.
- Then boil the tagliatelle according to the package directions.
- After that, quickly drain and serve with the chicken, sauce spooned over, tagliatelle on the side.
- Garnish with the fresh sprigs of basil and enjoy!