Recipe by gailanng
Sometimes making your own tomato sauce takes only minutes longer than warming a prepared sauce, yet the result is so much more delicious. This spicy Italian classic meal of chicken, olive-caper tomato sauce and pasta will satisfy the whole family.
For the Chicken
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cutlets thin-sliced horizontaly
- salt and black pepper
For the Puttanesca Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil (loosely packed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon sugar
- 8 -12 ounces penne pasta, cooked and drained
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Chicken: Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Season cutlets with salt and pepper; add to hot pan and cook 2 minutes, until browned. Flip; cook just until no longer pink. Transfer cutlets to a baking sheet; cover with foil and place in oven to keep warm.
- For the Puttanesca Sauce: Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, then saute the onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add anchovies and cook for another minute, breaking up the filets with a wooden spoon.
- Add the chili flakes, capers, olives, tomatoes with juices, fresh basil, salt, pepper and sugar; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Divide pasta into four bowls and top each with puttanesca sauce, chicken cutlets and grated Parmesan.