Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My family loves puttanesca sauce over pasta but this isn't a traditional puttanesca sauce that is served with this chicken. The flavor of this recipe is worth the time you will put into making it.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 8 chicken legs with thigh (attached pieces)
- 1 medium onion, cut in rings
- 12 garlic cloves, halved
- 35 ounces plum tomatoes
- 2 ounces anchovies, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pitted nicoise olive
- 1⁄3 cup capers, drained
- 3 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped sun-dried tomato
- 1 tablespoon mixed Italian herbs
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil; brown chicken on all sides. I remove the skin from the chicken first.
- Remove from pan.
- Add onion and garlic into pan. Saute till soft, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in plum tomatoes with liquid and then remaining ingredients, one at a time.
- I usually have the ingredients already measured out in little custard cups.
- Return chicken to pan and coat well in sauce.
- Cover pan and simmer till chicken is tender, at least 45 minutes.