Prep 15 hrs
Cook 20 mins
The Prep time does not include the marinating time.
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 1 tablespoon wasabi powder
- 1 orange, juice of
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken thighs or 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, skinless, boneless, cubed
- Whisk together all ingredients, except the chicken, in a mixing bowl. Place the chicken thighs in the marinade and marinate for 2 to 4 hours in the refrigerator. After 2 hours, stir the marinade.
- Heat the grill until the coals are gray to white. Remove the chicken from the marinade and drain or shake off the excess marinade. Place on a lightly oiled grill and cook for 5 to 7 minutes on each side.
- Continue grilling until the chicken is cooked in the center. Remove the "pupu chicken" to a serving plate and insert wooden picks in each of the cubes. Serve immediately as an appetizer.
I had a change of meal plans at the last minutes so this ended up marinating for about 24 hours! I used b/s chicken thighs and served it as a meal so didn't cube it. Was a great flavor! Sort of a like a teriyaki sauce but not salty like most. Made for Best of 2011 Cookbook Tag.
We really enjoyed this! I made two chicken breasts, which we enjoyed as an entree, and cooked them on my indoor grill. DH loved the ginger flavor in the marinade, and I loved how balanced the flavors were. A definite make again!
Well this was very easy to make (especially since I made the marinade and my husband BBQ'd), with amazing results. Comments around the table were that this was the best chicken ever, and exceptional chicken. The chicken was moist and extremely flavourful. Thanks for the recipe.