Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found a similar recipe on another site, but am really curious as to nutrition values as I make this ALL the time. Its a little different every time I make it, but i'll post the most usual recipe. I portion it out and freeze the leftovers .. makes for delish lunch or quick dinner! Can really make it your own, and honestly you cannot taste the pumpkin. ( I made this for my mom and her beau, who turns his nose up at anything healthy, and he LOVED it!) I usually use 1 lb of ground chicken breast, but today I made it with 1.5lbs of shredded chicken. I have to say, I LOVE it with the shredded chicken. would make a great sandwich! When done, top with some fat free greek yogurt and salsa! YUM! serve over brown rice or with bread!
- Pam cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red peppers or 1⁄2 cup yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning or 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- in large pot heat pam spray and add garlic, onion and peppers.
- cook until tender.
- add chicken (if using raw meat, cook until brown).
- add pumpkin and tomatoes , stir.
- add spices.
- stir until well blended.
- add lime juice
- add chicken broth a little at a time until desired consistency.
- cook covered , stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- add cilantro and cook for 5 more minutes.