Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is submitted for Ready, Set Cok #3.
- 400 g chicken breast fillets, cut into 1 cm dice
- 1 kg pumpkin, cut into 2 cm cubes
- 1 large red capsicum, sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 small fresh red chile, finely chopped
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut essence
- 4 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the garlic, onion, ginger and chilli, and cook until the onion is soft.
- Add the diced chicken and cook, stirring for a couple of minutes, or until the chicken changes colour.
- Add the pumpkin and the capsicum and cook, stirring for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, sauce, juice and sugar, and simmer, covered until the pumpkin is tender and starting to fall apart a little.
- Add the evaporated milk and essence and the coriander, and sir until hot.
You mentioned onion in step 2, but it wasn't included in list of ingredients, so I added 1 small diced onion. I didn't add the chicken because some of us are vegetarian, (So I guess that changes the name of the soup for me). Some one else in family prefers smooth soups, so I blended it. DELICIOUS. I realise I made a few changes, but the flavour was terrific. Nice Thai type flavour, and terrific color with the capsicum and pumpkin. I am a collector of pumpkin soup recipes, this one will be used frequently.