Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
Main course rice, Pakistani
Make and share this Chicken Pulao recipe from Food.com.
- 500 g skinless chicken (cut into pieces)
- 4 -5 pieces garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger, chopped
- 2 medium onions (chopped)
- 8 small whole cardamoms (Choti Ilaichi)
- 1 teaspoon whole dried coriander
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed (Saabut Sufaid Zeera)
- 1 teaspoon clove (Longs)
- 3 cinnamon sticks (Dal Cheeni)
- 2 -3 green chilies (Hari Mirch, chopped)
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 tomatoes (Pisi Lal Mirch, chopped)
- 2 cups rice
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 5 cups hot water
- Mix chicken, garlic, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, onion, whole dry coriander, small cardamoms, salt and water in large pot. Stir well and cook for 30 to 40 minutes on medium heat till the chicken is cooked.
- Separate the meat from the stock and keep aside. The stock (yakhni) should measure 4 cups. If there is more, boil it down till you get 4 cups. If less add hot water to it to get 6 cups.
- Heat oil in a heavy and large pot. when the oil is hot add onions. Fry till light golden.
- Add chicken pieces, chopped tomatoes, green chillies, red chili and cumin seed. Stir well Cook on medium flame till its turn in light golden.
- Now add stock/ Cook till the mixture comes to a boil, then add rice. Add stock and cover. Stir gently to mix all ingredients. Cover with a tight fitting lid. Lower heat and allow to cook for about 10 minutes or until rice is tender but yet firm.
- Place pan on a heavy griddle or tava and let cook for 10 to 15 minutes. To serve, place the rice in a large tray or platter.
This was a nice dish with a lot of flavours. I halved the recipe and it was enough for my husband and me with a small lunch portion the next day. The directions however, are a bit hard to follow. I cook desi food all the time but someone not used to this style of cooking might not understand whats going on. I'll try and right up what I did later when I have more time. Lovely dish though. and easy to make. I served it with a bit of greek style yogurt. yum yum.