Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have not made this yet, but it sounds like something I would love. I got this out of my Colorado Cache Cookbook. Prep and cook times are approximate.
- 9 frozen patty shells
- 8 chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, minced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup light cream
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 8 pork sausage links, cooked
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons light cream
- Place package of patty shells in refrigerator for at least 8 hours to defrost.
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper to taste.
- Brown well in butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add broth, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Remove chicken from pan and cool.
- Add mushrooms to pan and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Blend flour, salt and pepper into mushroom mixture.
- Add 1 cup light cream and wine and stir over medium heat until thickened.
- Remove bones, skin and cartilage from chicken, leaving meat in whole piece.
- Place a sausage in each thigh.
- Roll each patty shell on a lightly floured pastry cloth into a 6-inch square.
- Place about 2 Tablespoons of mushroom mixture in center of each pastry square and top with a stuffed chicken thigh.
- Fold pastry over chicken and place seam side down on a greased baking sheet.
- At this point the packets can be refrigerated for several hours.
- Brush each packet with egg yolk mixed with cream and decorate with tiny pieces of pastry cut from remaining patty shell.
- Brush again with yolk mixture and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Serve with Sauce Madere.