Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
Prep time includes browning the chicken.
- 3 -4 lbs frying chickens, cut in pieces
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- oil (for frying)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk or 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Grease a 12 x 7" baking pan.
- Wipe off any excess moisture from the chicken with a paper towel.
- In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup flour, salt and pepper.
- Roll chicken in mixture.
- In a large skillet, brown the chicken in oil on all sides; remove from pan, drain on paper towels.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat together the eggs, milk and melted butter; beat until light.
- Slowly add to flour mixture; beat until batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish; arrange the chicken pieces on top.
- Sprinkle with pepper if desired.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until batter puffs, and is golden brown.