Recipe by Pokey in San Antonio, TX
This is a great chicken dish. It's easy enough for every day, yet fancy enough for guests. The puffy pudding-like topping and chicken gravy make for a satisfying comfort-food dish. This is also a great way to use up left over fried chicken.
- 3 -5 lbs chicken (cut up)
- 1 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons parsley (minced)
- 1 teaspoon thyme (fresh or chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 1/3 cup of the flour, 1/4 tsp salt, and the pepper.
- Coat prepared chicken pieces and fry in the oil over moderate heat for 4 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Add stock and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Transfer to a buttered 13"X9"X3", reserving the stock.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg and egg whites. Whisk in the milk, 1 tbl of butter, and the remaining salt. Then, whisk in 1 cup of the flour until smooth. Pour over the chicken and bake, uncovered for 15 minutes. Reduce the temp to 350 degrees F and bake for 20 minutes longer or until the topping is puffed and golden.
- Meanwhile, in a medium size saucepan, heat the remaining 2 tbl of butter over medium heat. Add the remaining 1/3 cup of flour and cook until bubbly. Whisk in 3 1/2 cups of the reserved cooking liquid and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 6 minutes stirring frequently. Stir in parsley and thyme.
- Drizzle about 1/2 the gravy over the chicken. Serve with remaining gravy on the side.