Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
- 10 ounces white pearl onions, in package
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 8 boneless chicken thighs, with skin
- 18 ounces packaged cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 4 whole star anise
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 6 plum tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
- 4 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temp
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olive
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blanch onions in pot of boiling water 2 minutes.
- Use slotted spoon, transfer onions to bowl of ice water, cool for 5 minutes, drain and peel.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large ovenproof pot over high heat.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Work in batches, sear chicken until golden brown, abotu 12 minutes each batch, transfer chicken to plate.
- Drain all but 3 tbsp of dripping, add remaining oil, mushroom, onions and saute for 7 minutes.
- Add star anise, bay leaves and garlic, saute for 3 minutes.
- Add wine and tomatoes, boil until sauce is reduced by half, stir in chicken broth and return chicken to pot.
- press to submerge.
- Cover pot and place in oven for about 1 hour.
- Transfer chicken to plate, tent with foil to keep warm.
- Boil sauce until reduced to about 7 cups.
- Mix butter and flour in a small bowl then gradually whisk the mixture into sauce.
- Simmer until thickens.
- Add olives, season with salt and pepper, add chicken back to heat through then serve.