Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This was so yummy, we made it a special dinner, and the evening turned out perfect.
- 2 -3 chicken breasts, skinned, boned
- 2 -3 pieces prosciutto
- spinach, use 1/3 of the frozen, chopped
- 1 (19 ounce) can chicken broth (or homemade)
- 1 (10 ounce) can mushrooms, pieces and stems
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot paprika
- 8 ounces angel hair pasta or 8 ounces pasta, you like
- Cook the spinach (four minutes in a covered Corningware dish in the microwave does it for me).
- Drain/squeeze out all of the water (be careful, it will be very hot) and set aside.
- Slice the chicken breast into thin slices.
- Each large breast should make about three slices around a quarter inch thick.
- Pound each of the chicken slices thin enough so it will be easy to roll up (about an eighth of an inch thick)
- On each piece of chicken place one slice of Proshiutto, spread one third (if you have three pieces) of the spinach, top with a layer of Parmesan cheese.
- Carefully roll up each piece of chicken into a tight roll (roll down the length of the slice, not across the width).
- Fasten each roll with two toothpicks or, if you prefer, tie with twine.
- Sprinkle each piece with a shake or two of the spices to your taste.
- Get the pasta water ready so everything will be done at the same time.
- In a large skillet that can be covered brown the chicken rollups on all sides (use olive oil if you like).
- When browned sufficiently, put the can of chicken stock and the can of mushrooms (drained first) into the skillet.
- Bring to a boil and cover.
- Keep a rolling boil while cooking.
- Dump the pasta into the boiling pasta water when the chicken comes to a boil and set the timer for ten minutes.
- After five minutes turn the chicken rolls over.
- After another two minutes (three minutes remaining) remove the cover from the pan so the stock reduces some.
- You will likely have to increase the heat to keep the stock boiling when the cover comes off.
- After ten minutes, everything is done.
- Drain the pasta and dish.
- Place one of the chicken rollups on each bed of pasta.
- Spoon some of the stock and mushrooms over the dish and serve.