Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Delicious mixed paella wih lots of colour, succulent prawns, deep flavours. Ideal for an evening meal with friends creating that mediterranean atmosphere.
- 3 skinless chicken breasts
- 400 g uncooked large shrimp (peeled)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 3 large tomatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 500 g paella rice
- 1 green pepper (sliced)
- 1 red pepper (sliced)
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 150 g frozen peas
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron (or teaspoon of tumeric)
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- 1 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 6 mushrooms, quartered
- Cut the chicken breasts into cubes about 2cm.
- Heat olive in a medium paella pan(38 cm is ideal).
- Saute onions and garlic until soft.
- Add chicken and brown for a few minutes.
- Add peppers and cook for another five minutes.
- Add tomatoes, saute for a couple of minutes then add the paprika. Continue for another couple of minutes.
- Add 900ml of the chicken stock, salt & pepper, and rice, saffron (or tumeric), bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes covered with foil.
- Add mushrooms, prawns and peas to surface of paella, do not mix in - re-cover.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until prawns are cooked and liquid has been absorbed. Note- add more chicken stock if required.
- Once cooked remove paella from heat and leave to rest covered for 5 minutes.
- Scatter parsley, spread lemon wedges of paella and serve.