Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I made this during a rare AZ cold snap. Warms you right up! The original recipe (published in the AZ Republic) calls for 6-7 chicken thighs. I don't like dark meat, so I made it with breasts. It's even better the second day!
- 3 skinless chicken breasts, bone in
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 822.13 g can hominy, drained (not Mexican style)
- 14.78 ml mild new mexico chile powder
- 2.46 ml oregano
- 2.46 ml basil
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves & stems chopped
- 226.79 g can cream of mushroom soup
- salt & pepper
- In a pot with 4 quarts of water, add chicken, onion and garlic. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken and shred. Return to pot with all other ingredients. (Reserve some cilantro to use as garnish before serving). Add salt & pepper to taste. Simmer for another 1-2 hours.