Recipe by minipax84
A basic thick chicken and potato soup I created one night. Cook times are approximate, this can be left to simmer for a long time or could be done in a slow cooker
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sprigs rosemary, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 chicken breasts
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large stock pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and rosemary, sauté until fragrant (about 2 minutes).
- Sear chicken breasts in oil just until browned on each side.
- Place chicken breasts in oven, bake about 30 minutes, until no longer pink in the middle. While the chicken is cooking, finish the rest of the soup.
- Add celery and onion to pot, sauté until just softened, 6-8 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add chopped potatoes, cover. Maintain a low boil until potatoes are soft.
- When chicken is done, remove from oven, let cool slightly then shred or chop.
- Remove 2 cups of soup from pot and purée in a food processor, then return to pot. This will thicken the soup.
- Add shredded chicken and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- The soup can stay on the stove over low heat until ready to serve but the potatoes will continue to soften.