Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
In 'Winter Gatherings' by Rick Rodgers
Make and share this Chicken, Potato, and Leek Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 4 bacon, slices coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 (12 ounce) bone-in skin-on chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 large leeks, chopped, white and green parts only (about 2 cups)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- fresh ground black pepper
- Cook bacon and oil together in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp and browned, about 8 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain, leaving the fat in the saucepan.
- Add the chicken to the fat, skin side down.
- Cook until the skin is deeply browned, about 4 minutes.
- Turn and cook the other side until lightly browned, about 2 minutes; transfer to a plate.
- Pour off any fat in the saucepan.
- Add the butter to the saucepan and return to medium heat.
- Add the leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, scraping up any browned bits in the bottom of the saucepan, until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the stock with the potato and thyme.
- Return the chicken to the saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat to medium-low; simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the potato is tender, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to the cutting board; remove the skin and bones and coarsely chop the meat; set aside.
- Add the cream to the soup and heat until piping hot, but do not boil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In batches, puree the soup in a blender and return to the saucepan.
- Serve hot, topping each serving with some of the chicken and bacon.