Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a savory pot pie that your family will love.
- 1 lb cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces peas
- 8 ounces broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 2 double crust pie crusts, for top and bottom
- Preheat oven to 375 & Grease a 9x13 pan.
- line bottom of pan evenly with pie crust and poke holes into it with fork.
- Melt the butter in sauce pan and add onion.
- Cook the onion until transparent.
- Add carrot and celery sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook for a minute or so then gradually stir in the chicken stock and sherry.
- Bring to a boil, stirring continuously and simmer until thickened.
- Stir in the milk, cream, parsley, sage and bay leaves, season with salt and pepper, and heat without boiling for 2 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Mix in the chicken and peas.
- Pour into the pie pastry.
- Moisten the edge of the pastry with water, and top with remaining pastry.
- Beat egg and brush pastry with it. Make a hole in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 375 for about 45 minutes, or until pastry is golden and filling bubbly.