Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
This looked fantastic on America's Test Kitchen. No traditional pie crust, just a great crumble topping.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (and or or thighs)
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine (about 1 cup)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick
- 2 small celery ribs (chopped fine, about 1/2 cup)
- table salt & fresh ground pepper
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed, caps wiped clean and sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (see note)
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste (see note)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon juice lemon
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- 3⁄4 cup frozen baby peas
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and chilled
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, finely grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream, plus
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (see note)
- FOR THE CHICKEN: Bring chicken and broth to simmer in covered. Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook until chicken is just done, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Transfer cooked chicken to large bowl. Pour broth through fine-mesh strainer into liquid measuring cup and reserve. Do not wash. Dutch oven.
- Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees.
- FOR THE TOPPING: Combine flour, baking powder, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper in large bowl.
- Sprinkle butter pieces over.top of flour. Using fingers, rub butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Stir in Parmesan. Add cream and stir until just combined.
- Crumble mixture into irregularly shaped pieces ranging from 1/2 to ¾ inch each onto parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Bakeuntil fragrant and starting to brown, 10 to 13 minutes. Set aside.
- FOR THE FILLING: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in now-empty Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 5 to 7 minutes. While vegetables are cooking, shred chicken into small bite-size pieces.
- Transfer cooked vegetables to bowl with chicken; set aside.
- Heat remaining tablespoon oil in empty Dutch oven over medium.
- heat until shimmering.
- Add mushrooms; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms have released their juices, about 5 minutes.
- Remove cover and stir in soy sauce and tomato paste.
- Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring frequently, until liquid has evaporated, mushrooms are well browned, and dark fond begins to form on surface of pan, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer mushrooms to bowl with chicken and vegetables. Set aside.
- Heat butter in empty Dutch oven over medium heat.
- When foaming subsides, stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Slowly whisk in reserved chicken broth and milk.
- Bring to simmer, scraping pan bottom with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits, then continue to simmer until sauce fully thickens, about 1 minute.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and 2 tablespoons parsley.
- Stir chicken-vegetable mixture and peas into sauce.
- Pour mixture into 13 by 9-inch baking dish or casserole dish of similar size.
- Scatter crumble topping evenly over filling.
- Bake on rimmed baking sheet until filling is bubbling and topping is well browned, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining tablespoon parsley and serve.