Recipe by Dienia B.
Dodge County Extension 1976 homemade all the way old recipe. She says this dish freezes and reheats well. I think you might be able to make a couple of pies out of this recipe even though she says one.
- 5 lbs chicken
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon peppercorn, whole
- 1 sprig parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 potato, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup peas
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cream, 1/2 and1/2
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lard or 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 5 tablespoons water, ice
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Stew chicken. Debone chicken to get 4 cups cooked chicken (use rest for another chicken dish); get 2 cups broth (use rest of broth for another chicken dish).
- Heat chicken fat or butter in skillet.
- Saute onion, carrot, celery, and potato for 5 minutes until tender crisp; add peas.
- Stir in flour until blended.
- Stir in chicken broth and 1/2 and 1/2 cream.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine with chicken and pour mixture in 2 quart baking dish.
- Roll out pastry to 1/4 inch thickness and 1 inch bigger than dish.
- Cover chicken mixture; fold excess pastry under and crimp edge.
- With a sharp knife cut a small diamond in middle of top crust.
- Brush generously with egg yolk and milk topping mixture.
- Bake in preheated 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for 30 minutes.
- For pastry,combine flour and salt; cut in lard.
- Mix egg, ice water, and vinegar.
- Gradually stir into flour. Mix.
- Roll out.
- This dish freezes and reheats well.