Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 5 mins
We were craving chicken pot pie one day, and didn't want a traditional crusted pie. So I used a mashed potato topping like I use for Sheppard's or Cottage Pie. I also don't like using cream of ... soups, so I made a milk free version.
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 5 -6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 cups cooked chicken breasts, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 cup parsnip, diced
- 1 cup turnip, diced
- 1 cup fresh green beans, cut into 1 inch lengths
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 10 garlic cloves
- 2 cups onions, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups diced potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup fat free sour cream
- Toss parsnip, turnip, carrots, garlic, onions and canola oil. Roast in oven at 400 for 30 minute
- Boil potatoes in salted water until tender. Mash and add sour cream and salt and pepper to taste.
- Steam green beans until just tender, either over boiling potatoes or in microwave.
- Melt butter in saucepan and add flour. Cook until roux is lightly golden and flour smells nutty. Add stock and thyme sprigs. Bring to a simmer and continue to stir until sauce thickens. Remove thyme stems. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Combine roasted vegetables, diced chicken, corn, green beans and sauce. Place in deep cassarole dish and top with mashed potatoes.
- Bake in 350 oven until bubbling, about 30 minute Place under broiler for 5 min to brown top of potatoes.
- Let stand 5 min before serving.
Very tasty. We especially liked the sauce/gravy. The browned flour gave the dish a great, savory flavor.