1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 5 mins
We were craving chicken pot pie one day, and didn't want a traditional crusted pie. So I used a mashed potato topping like I use for Sheppard's or Cottage Pie. I also don't like using cream of ... soups, so I made a milk free version.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 5 -6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 cups cooked chicken breasts, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 cup parsnip, diced
- 1 cup turnip, diced
- 1 cup fresh green beans, cut into 1 inch lengths
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 10 garlic cloves
- 2 cups onions, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups diced potatoes
- 1/2 cup fat free sour cream
- 1Toss parsnip, turnip, carrots, garlic, onions and canola oil. Roast in oven at 400 for 30 minute
- 2Boil potatoes in salted water until tender. Mash and add sour cream and salt and pepper to taste.
- 3Steam green beans until just tender, either over boiling potatoes or in microwave.
- 4Melt butter in saucepan and add flour. Cook until roux is lightly golden and flour smells nutty. Add stock and thyme sprigs. Bring to a simmer and continue to stir until sauce thickens. Remove thyme stems. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- 5Combine roasted vegetables, diced chicken, corn, green beans and sauce. Place in deep cassarole dish and top with mashed potatoes.
- 6Bake in 350 oven until bubbling, about 30 minute Place under broiler for 5 min to brown top of potatoes.
- 7Let stand 5 min before serving.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Pot Pie With Potato Crust
Serving Size: 1 (420 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 425.6
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 69.4 mg
- Sodium 319.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 24.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: