1 hr 15 mins
Transcribed from Good Eats episode 14x15. This calls for Scotch, or blitz, puff pastry, a much abbreviated and simplified version of the French classic; don't be intimidated!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 ounces bread flour
- 2 ounces whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, processed in a spice grinder to yield 1 tsp fine salt
- 10 ounces unsalted butter, cubed and frozen
- 12 tablespoons ice water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (thighs and or or breasts)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 medium celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 ounces all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups 2% low-fat milk, at room temperature
- 1/2 lb frozen green pea
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped tarragon
- 1In a zip-top bag, combine bread flour, whole wheat flour, salt and butter. Place in freezer for 1 hour.
- 2Place a 10-12" cast iron skillet over high heat. Add 1 tbsp vegetable oil. When it shimmers, cook chicken pieces (in batches, if necessary to avoid crowding) along with 1 tsp kosher salt. When cooked through but not browned, transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
- 3Return pan to heat, but reduce to medium. Add another 1 tbsp oil, then add onions, mushrooms, carrots, celery and garlic, as well as 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, black pepper, dried thyme and dried tarragon. Cook, stirring often, until onions are wilted, about 4 minutes. Add butter. When melted, sprinkle over flour and stir well for 1-2 minutes to cook out the raw-flour taste. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Bring to a simmer and cook 3 minutes until thickened.
- 4Off heat, return chicken to sauce, along with peas, fresh thyme and fresh tarragon. Place a large flat lid on top of the skillet and set aside.
- 5Dump the flour-butter mixture onto a clean counter. Using a bench scraper, chop into the mixture until the butter is reduced to the size of peas. Sprinkle ice water over the mixture 1-2 tbsp at a time, then fold in with bench scraper. Once 8-10 tbsp of water is incorporated, and the flour is starting to form clumps, scrape the mixture together into a 4" square pile, and start whacking it with a rolling pin, until it forms a 12x4" rectangle. Fold in thirds and repeat. If the butter starts to feel soft, place a baking sheet (which you previously stored in the freezer) on top, then place ice packs or zip-top bags of ice on the sheet pan, for 5-6 minutes, until it firms up again.
- 6After 4 repeats of the letter fold above, the last will be a book fold - fold both ends into the center, then fold in half at the resultant seam. Wrap tightly in parchment paper and refrigerate 1 hour.
- 7Preheat oven to 425°F.
- 8Set 4 16-ounce souffle dishes or onion soup crocks on a baking sheet. Beat together egg wash and have standing by. Cut dough in half; roll one piece out to about 1/4" thick, using bench flour as necessary to avoid sticking. Find a pot lid a little wider than your dishes and use it to trace out two circles from the dough; repeat with the other piece. Brush each disk with egg wash.
- 9Fill dishes almost to the top with chicken mixture. Top each with a disk of dough, egg wash side down. Brush the exposed tops with more egg wash. Bake in preheated oven 15 minutes, then rotate pan 180°, lower heat to 400F and cook another 15-20 minutes until tops are deep brown and crispy. Cool on a rack 10-15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Pot Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Pot Pie With Homemade Puff Pastry - Alton Brown
Serving Size: 1 (852 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1489.2
- Calories from Fat 774
- Total Fat 86.0 g
- Saturated Fat 47.6 g
- Cholesterol 345.9 mg
- Sodium 2179.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 117.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 17.2 g
- Protein 68.2 g