1/2 Photos of Chicken Pot Pie With Celery Seed Pastry
1 hr 10 mins
Source: Betty Crocker's cookbook. This is always a favorite and pretty simple. I've cooked this for years every year following our Thanksgiving turkey gorge. After the big meal, I cook the bird down in a huge stew pot to get all the meat off the bone (skimming fat off as needed). Then I add some veggies and lentils to make turkey soup. Any leftovers from that can go into the pot pie. 3 different ways to eat leftover turkey, and nothing gets wasted!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup margarine or 1/3 cup butter or 1/3 cup chicken fat
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 cups cooked chicken or 2 cups cooked turkey, cut-up
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas and carrots (fresh vegetables can also be used)
- 1/3 cup chopped celery (optional)
- 1 cup chopped potato (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 2Heat margarine over low heat until melted. Blend in flour, onion, paprika salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat.
- 3Stir in broth and milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- 4Stir in chicken and frozen vegetables; reserve.
- 5Prepare Celery Seed pastry.Cut shortening into flour, celery seed and salt until particles are size of small peas. Sprinkle in water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans side of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons water can be added if necessary). Gather pastry into ball.
- 6Roll 2/3 of pastry into 13-inch square on lightly floured cloth-covered board. Ease pastry into square pan, 9x9x2 inches; pour chicken filling into pastry-lined pan. Roll remaining dough into 11-inch square; place over filling. Roll edges under; flute. Cut slits in center to allow steam to escape.
- 7Bake, uncovered, in 425 degrees F oven until crust is brown, 30 to 35 minutes.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Pot Pie With Celery Seed Pastry
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 645.0
- Calories from Fat 383
- Total Fat 42.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 38.8 mg
- Sodium 1036.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 21.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: