Recipe by Karen=^..^=
This is a combo of my Chicken Pot Pie filling and my mother in-law's Biscuit Style Crust. They go together fabulously. This is awesome with a double crust, but if you are watching your fat intake, it is also yummy with just a top crust. Also, the homemade gravy is wonderful, but if you have leftover gravy or prefer to use canned or jarred, this is even easier. Enjoy!
Top Review by Just Cher
I made this last week one night after work and we fell in love with it. I followed the directions to the T except for adding 1/4 tsp sage & 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning. I fixed this in a round cassarole dish and the only thing that was wrong with it is I should have double it and made 2! It was just DH & myself and the little that was left over went in his lunch. Thanks Karen, we will be making this lots this winter.
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cut into small pieces or cubes
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Crust: This is for just a top crust.
- if you would like a top and bottom, double the recipe.
- Combine dry ingredients and cut in butter until it resembles small peas.
- Add milk all at one and stir just to moisten.
- Pour out onto a floured surface and knead about 8 times.
- Roll into desired shape, depending if you are using a round or square casserole dish.
- If you are making two crusts, make sure you roll the bottom one larger.
- Filling: Melt butter over low heat in a large saucepan.
- Stir in flour, chopped onions, salt and pepper.
- Cook until mixture is bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and whisk in broth and milk.
- Put back over heat and heat to boiling, stirring constantly for a couple minutes, until thickened.
- (YOU CAN IGNORE THE ABOVE IF YOU HAVE ABOUT 2 CUPS OF LEFTOVER GRAVY--JUST HEAT IT UP IN A SAUCEPAN).
- Add chicken and frozen peas and carrots into the mixture and combine.
- Remove from heat.
- Putting it together: Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Pour chicken mixture into 2 quart casserole (lined with one crust if you want a bottom crust).
- Lay crust over mixture and press into the inside edges of dish.
- Make a couple slits in the center of crust with a sharp knife.
- If you are doing a top and bottom crust, crimp edges to seal.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until golden brown.