This is a combo of my Chicken Pot Pie filling and my mother in-law's Biscuit Style Crust. They go together fabulously. This is awesome with a double crust, but if you are watching your fat intake, it is also yummy with just a top crust. Also, the homemade gravy is wonderful, but if you have leftover gravy or prefer to use canned or jarred, this is even easier. Enjoy!
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cut into small pieces or cubes
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- Crust: This is for just a top crust.
- if you would like a top and bottom, double the recipe.
- Combine dry ingredients and cut in butter until it resembles small peas.
- Add milk all at one and stir just to moisten.
- Pour out onto a floured surface and knead about 8 times.
- Roll into desired shape, depending if you are using a round or square casserole dish.
- If you are making two crusts, make sure you roll the bottom one larger.
- Filling: Melt butter over low heat in a large saucepan.
- Stir in flour, chopped onions, salt and pepper.
- Cook until mixture is bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and whisk in broth and milk.
- Put back over heat and heat to boiling, stirring constantly for a couple minutes, until thickened.
- (YOU CAN IGNORE THE ABOVE IF YOU HAVE ABOUT 2 CUPS OF LEFTOVER GRAVY--JUST HEAT IT UP IN A SAUCEPAN).
- Add chicken and frozen peas and carrots into the mixture and combine.
- Remove from heat.
- Putting it together: Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Pour chicken mixture into 2 quart casserole (lined with one crust if you want a bottom crust).
- Lay crust over mixture and press into the inside edges of dish.
- Make a couple slits in the center of crust with a sharp knife.
- If you are doing a top and bottom crust, crimp edges to seal.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until golden brown.