Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Microwave Entertaining. Feel free to skip out on the pate brisse as its its own recipe in itself and just eat as a stew, if you'd like to use a storebought or homemade shell, just bake it as per directions beforehand fill it right before serving.
- 1 lb pastry dough, pate brisse (optional Pate Brisee) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 1⁄4 lbs sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 20 white pearl onions (peeled, or 16 ounces frozen)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (quartered)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock (or broth)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt (to taste)
- 2 sprigs tarragon (4 inches long, or 1 tsp dried)
- In 4-quart casserole dish combine butter, oil and garlic.
- Cover with plastic wrap leaving one end turned back and cook on high for 1 1/2-2 minutes on high or until butter is melted.
- Stir in flour.
- Add wine and stir.
- Cover and cook again 2-3 minutes to boil and thicken.
- Stir in sweet potatoes and onions.
- Cover again and cook on high 12-14 minutes; stirring after 6; until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and cook covered on high for 20-22 minutes; stirring after 10; or until chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Let stand covered 10 minutes.
- To serve: spoon into 6 ramekins or soup plates (or premade pie shell) and (optional) place 2 pate brisee cutouts on top of each.
This recipe was incredible. I followed it closely, but used pre-made pie crust instead. This is a keeper and the only chicken pot pie I am interested in making for a long time. Thank you!!!