Recipe by Michelle_My_Belle
From Microwave Entertaining. Feel free to skip out on the pate brisse as its its own recipe in itself and just eat as a stew, if you'd like to use a storebought or homemade shell, just bake it as per directions beforehand fill it right before serving.
Top Review by saturae
This recipe was incredible. I followed it closely, but used pre-made pie crust instead. This is a keeper and the only chicken pot pie I am interested in making for a long time. Thank you!!!
- 1 lb pastry dough, pate brisse (optional Pate Brisee) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 1⁄4 lbs sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 20 white pearl onions (peeled, or 16 ounces frozen)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (quartered)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock (or broth)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt (to taste)
- 2 sprigs tarragon (4 inches long, or 1 tsp dried)
Directions See How It's Made
- In 4-quart casserole dish combine butter, oil and garlic.
- Cover with plastic wrap leaving one end turned back and cook on high for 1 1/2-2 minutes on high or until butter is melted.
- Stir in flour.
- Add wine and stir.
- Cover and cook again 2-3 minutes to boil and thicken.
- Stir in sweet potatoes and onions.
- Cover again and cook on high 12-14 minutes; stirring after 6; until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and cook covered on high for 20-22 minutes; stirring after 10; or until chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Let stand covered 10 minutes.
- To serve: spoon into 6 ramekins or soup plates (or premade pie shell) and (optional) place 2 pate brisee cutouts on top of each.