Recipe by Biffy 62
This recipe is a favorite in our house. Using the puff pastry makes it very quick and easy to prepare. I also use pie pastry when I don't have puff pastry on hand. I usually make this pie in a 9"x13" baking dish but when it's busy I just divide it into two 8" square dishes. Notes: If chicken breasts are frozen just boil them in water and remove skins. You can always add your harder vegetables to cook with the chicken. Cubed carrots, potatoes, etc. A great tip if you're like me and don't tend to keep cream, buttermilk or whipping cream on hand. I buy these containers and divide them into muffin tins and freeze. Then I pop them out and store them in resealable bags. Each cube is about 1/4 cup.
- 1 (397 g) package puff pastry, thawed and rolled for top
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup light cream or 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 3⁄4 cups cooked chicken (cut up) or 2 3⁄4 cups cooked turkey (cut up)
- 1 1⁄2 cups mixed vegetables
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw pastry according to package directions.
- Heat butter in large saucepan. Cook onion in butter until tender-crisp.
- Add flour and seasonings, mixing until smooth.
- Gradually stir in broth and milk. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and is smoothly thickened.
- Stir in chicken and vegetables.
- Cool slightly. Spoon into baking dish.
- Place rolled out puff pastry on top and make slits for steam to escape.
- You can brush with egg white. (opt.).
- Bake on lower rack in oven @ 375*F. until filling is bubbling and crust is puffed and golden brown. 30-35 minutes.