1/3 Photos of Chicken Pot Pie Turnovers-Yum!
1 hr 15 mins
Using leftover chicken makes this ecomical and easy! Just saw this on Ten Dollar Dinners with Melissa d'Arabian Episode: Cost-Cutting Comfort and it looks so good, and something I might make for my kids, or for me making it vegetarian!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1/2 onion, chopped small
- 1 carrot, chopped small
- 1 stalk celery, chopped small
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme (1/2-1 tsp. fresh thyme)
- 1 tablespoon flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2-1 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken (or shredded)
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2Melt the butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Cook the onions, carrots, and celery with salt and pepper, to taste, until the carrots soften, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook for an additional minute, stirring frequently. Add the flour and cook off the raw flavor, about 1 minute more. Turn up the heat to medium-high and deglaze the pan with the wine. Whisk in the stock and Dijon mustard. Add the peas and chicken(if making vegetarian you can use more veggies or tofu, seitan, mushrooms are good in it too) and cook on a very low simmer until the sauce thickens up into a gravy, 5-10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- 3On a lightly floured surface, unfold the pastry dough and cut into 4 even squares (cut once horizontally and once vertically). Gently roll out each square, increasing the size of the square by about 20 percent with a rolling pin. Place the squares on a baking sheet and spoon the chicken mixture in the center. Fold the squares diagonally to create triangles. Pinch the edges together to create turnovers (use a little water on the edges to bind). Press the edges with a fork to create a decorative border. Whisk the egg with a splash of water and brush the turnovers with the egg wash. Cut a small slit in the top to allow the steam to escape during baking.
- 4Bake the turnovers until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let cool at least 10 minutes before serving as the insides will be very hot. Enjoy!
- 6To make this vegetarian, use vegetarian "chicken" or just use more veggies.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Pot Pie Turnovers-Yum!
Serving Size: 1 (271 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 561.0
- Calories from Fat 302
- Total Fat 33.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 56.4 mg
- Sodium 382.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 20.8 g