Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a good hearty warm soup. Easy to put together. I have used Mock Puff Pastry Dough (Made so Easy!) with success for the pastry on top. I like that there are no cans of cream of whatever soup in it.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons chicken soup base
- 1⁄2 cup cooked potato, cubed
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups chicken, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- puff pastry sheets or uncooked pie crust
- 1 egg, Beaten
- chopped parsley
- Melt butter and cook onion and celery in butter on low until soft. Season with salt and pepper. Add flour and cook on low for a minute stirring constantly so it doesn't burn.
- Add the milk, chicken broth, and chicken base and stir with a whisk until it comes to a boil and has thickened. If too thick add more broth or milk. Turn down heat and add the chicken, potatoes, and vegetables. Season with salt, pepper. Let simmer for a minute on low. Add the cream.
- Ladle into oven safe bowls and top with pieces of puff pastry or pie crust. Brush with egg. And bake on a cookie sheet in a preheated 375 degree oven until pastry or crust is cooked (times depend on what type you use). Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
We really liked this! Very rich and so fulfilling on a cold fall night! I had extra pie crust so used that instead of puffed pastry, also used left over rotisserie chicken which made this come together quickly for a week night supper. Thank you Jess! Made for Fall 2009 PAC