This is a good hearty warm soup. Easy to put together. I have used Mock Puff Pastry Dough (Made so Easy!) with success for the pastry on top. I like that there are no cans of cream of whatever soup in it.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons chicken soup base
- 1⁄2 cup cooked potato, cubed
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups chicken, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- puff pastry sheets or uncooked pie crust
- 1 egg, Beaten
- chopped parsley
- Melt butter and cook onion and celery in butter on low until soft. Season with salt and pepper. Add flour and cook on low for a minute stirring constantly so it doesn't burn.
- Add the milk, chicken broth, and chicken base and stir with a whisk until it comes to a boil and has thickened. If too thick add more broth or milk. Turn down heat and add the chicken, potatoes, and vegetables. Season with salt, pepper. Let simmer for a minute on low. Add the cream.
- Ladle into oven safe bowls and top with pieces of puff pastry or pie crust. Brush with egg. And bake on a cookie sheet in a preheated 375 degree oven until pastry or crust is cooked (times depend on what type you use). Sprinkle with chopped parsley.