Recipe by startnover
This recipe is easy and can be doubled, tripled, whatever! It is a quick alternative to pot pie as there is no crust to deal with (I always go for the center anyways)
Top Review by Sooz Cooks
This soup was just what my daughter was craving. She saw a coupon for Sweet Tomatoes restaurant that showed their Chicken Pot Pie Soup and wanted it so I did a quick search and found this. My method was just a bit different than listed but I kept the ingredients the same for the most part. I cooked the chicken breasts in the crock pot all day and made chicken broth at the same time. I removed some of the broth from crock pot and boiled my potatoes and carrots uncovered in the broth until there was only about 1 cup of the broth left. I added the cubed chicken and the peas, melted the butter in a measuring cup and stirred the flour into the melted butter until it was smooth. Then I added the butter/flour mixture slowly into the pan and then the milk, brought the soup to a simmer and in about 5 minutes it was thick and absolutely delicious! I served the soup with biscuits and it was a big hit in my house!
- 473.18 ml cubed cooked chicken, cooked with
- 59.14 ml chopped onion
- 236.59 ml sliced cooked carrot
- 473.18 ml cubed cooked potatoes
- 236.59 ml cooked green peas
- 88.74 ml margarine or 88.74 ml butter
- 78.07 ml flour (I use more because I like it thicker)
- 29.58 ml chicken bouillon granules
- 946.36 ml whole milk or 946.36 ml 2% low-fat milk
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 0.59 ml garlic powder (I use dehydrated garlic and I use about 1-1/2 t)
Directions See How It's Made
- To begin, all ingredients should start out cooked (this helps prevent cream base from scorching).
- In sauce pan melt margarine or butter.
- Blend in flour, chicken bouillon, garlic and pepper.
- Cook until mixture is smooth and bubbly; gradually add milk.
- Cook and stir over medium heat till mixture boils, simmer one minute, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken and then each vegetable one at a time carefully so as not to break up other ingredients.
- Serve in bread bowls or over cornbread.
- NOTE: Cook time does not include time for individual ingredients, soup only.