This recipe is easy and can be doubled, tripled, whatever! It is a quick alternative to pot pie as there is no crust to deal with (I always go for the center anyways)
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken, cooked with
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced cooked carrot
- 2 cups cubed cooked potatoes
- 1 cup cooked green peas
- 6 tablespoons margarine or 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour (I use more because I like it thicker)
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 4 cups whole milk or 4 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder (I use dehydrated garlic and I use about 1-1/2 t)
- To begin, all ingredients should start out cooked (this helps prevent cream base from scorching).
- In sauce pan melt margarine or butter.
- Blend in flour, chicken bouillon, garlic and pepper.
- Cook until mixture is smooth and bubbly; gradually add milk.
- Cook and stir over medium heat till mixture boils, simmer one minute, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken and then each vegetable one at a time carefully so as not to break up other ingredients.
- Serve in bread bowls or over cornbread.
- NOTE: Cook time does not include time for individual ingredients, soup only.