1/2 Photos of Chicken Pot Pie / Pies
1 hr 30 mins
I made about a half dozen of these when I was "nesting" with my second baby, and it saved me from having to cook on Sundays until my baby was six weeks old. These pies freeze really well and are delicious. Add carrots, celery and peas if you like (we prefer them without).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup butter or 1/3 cup margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1Cut the chicken breasts up into one-inch pieces and add to a large pot.
- 2Cover just to the top with water and boil for 20 minutes, or until done.
- 3Reserve the water (broth) for use later in the recipe.
- 4Meanwhile, chop the potatoes and par-boil.
- 5In a skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion in melted butter until tender.
- 6Whisk in flour and stir until smooth.
- 7Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 8Add 2 cups of the reserved chicken broth and milk and whisk, stirring constantly, until smooth, thick and bubbly.
- 9Stir in chicken, potatoes, and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- 10To make pastry, combine flour and salt in a large bowl.
- 11Cut in shortening into mixture becomes coarse crumbs the size of peas.
- 12Add cold water 1 tbsp at a time and mix gently until dough becomes a sticky ball.
- 13Divide into 8 equal parts.
- 14On a lightly floured surface, roll 4 parts into 10-inch circles.
- 15Place pastry circles into four 6-inch disposable pie pans.
- 16Divide chicken mixture evenly into pie pans.
- 17Roll the last 4 portions of pastry into circles.
- 18Place over the tops of the pans and fold edges under and flute.
- 19Cut slits in the top of each pie to allow steam to escape.
- 20Cover tightly with foil and freeze for up to 2 months.
- 21To serve, bake frozen pies uncovered at 400 degrees for 1 hour or until brown.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Pot Pie / Pies
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 868.7
- Calories from Fat 509
- Total Fat 56.6 g
- Saturated Fat 19.2 g
- Cholesterol 70.9 mg
- Sodium 1182.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 25.6 g