Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I made about a half dozen of these when I was "nesting" with my second baby, and it saved me from having to cook on Sundays until my baby was six weeks old. These pies freeze really well and are delicious. Add carrots, celery and peas if you like (we prefer them without).
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable shortening, plus
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup cold water
- Cut the chicken breasts up into one-inch pieces and add to a large pot.
- Cover just to the top with water and boil for 20 minutes, or until done.
- Reserve the water (broth) for use later in the recipe.
- Meanwhile, chop the potatoes and par-boil.
- In a skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion in melted butter until tender.
- Whisk in flour and stir until smooth.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add 2 cups of the reserved chicken broth and milk and whisk, stirring constantly, until smooth, thick and bubbly.
- Stir in chicken, potatoes, and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To make pastry, combine flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in shortening into mixture becomes coarse crumbs the size of peas.
- Add cold water 1 tbsp at a time and mix gently until dough becomes a sticky ball.
- Divide into 8 equal parts.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll 4 parts into 10-inch circles.
- Place pastry circles into four 6-inch disposable pie pans.
- Divide chicken mixture evenly into pie pans.
- Roll the last 4 portions of pastry into circles.
- Place over the tops of the pans and fold edges under and flute.
- Cut slits in the top of each pie to allow steam to escape.
- Cover tightly with foil and freeze for up to 2 months.
- To serve, bake frozen pies uncovered at 400 degrees for 1 hour or until brown.
I made this for dinner for my family, it was a huge hit! I follow the recipe except I used leftover chicken I had, so I didn't boil it first. I also just added some mixed frozen veggies and it came out awesome! Will be coming back for this one! This was also my first time doing a pie crust and was so easy and came out super flaky. Thanks for the recipe!
I am really looking forward to making these tomorrow and doubling the recipe to freeze some. I will keep all posted on my ratings. I am not very good at making pie crust. We will see how these pan out
Really good pot pies! I only used 2 breasts and added 8 oz mushrooms and sauted with the onions. I also added a pinch of sage, parsley and thyme. I would have liked it with some carrots, but the rest of my family said it was good without - DD said it was perfect the way it was. Thanks for posting - I'll be using this recipe again!